March 8, 2012
The day started with comma practice while waiting for Romo to come. The reasoning behind the coma practice was so that we no longer have to think about commas; it just occurs naturally.
- 5. Above, the U.S. Navy jets were flying in formation.
- 6. “Help!” Arnie screamed suddenly, “Call Dad!”
- 8. Are you, by chance, planning to go with us to the dance?
- 11. We’ll go as soon as you’re ready.
- 12. As soon as you are ready, we’ll go.
- 13. Dad asked me, “Did you try out for the track team, Gwen?”
- 17. The last performance, I thought, was the best of all.
- 19. The little girl was short, chubby, wide-eyed, and smiling.
- 20. When they finished the last sentence, the students sighed with relief!
Isaura, Vanessa R., Vanessa C., and Linda went to the front for the voice presentations.
- Words to know:
- Brood: a group (hatching)
- Purt: something lively or in good health
- Chickadee: a type of bird
- Ya-honk: a goose noise
- 1. The conclusion is a natural cycle of life. The details that support this are the noises of birds and different animals.
- 2. The author feels the connection of being a part of a life cycle. The cool night, the wintery sky is not focused on because the author wants to focus only on the life cycle of the animals.
- animals = focus = life cycle
- night = no cycle
- First Stanza
- Romo’s detail on the night: “shivering night, pitch black midnight sky”
- Second Stanza
- No night? No problem!
- Just take away the detail from the animals
Next we took time to do The Week reading log. We then took time to share our articles amongst our groups. After we chose the most interesting article, Eldridge called on a group, and we shared our articles.
- Mario: Biologist found gurillas play tag. Children = hairless gurillas
- Manny: German’s Catholic church = largest book seller. The church ells books on violence, books written by atheists, and books on porn. Yes, porn. “Sex sells,” said Eldridge.
- Lizette and Otilia: Roman Catholic church is abusing and have been convicted of abusing children. The church would then pay the victims to keep them quiet. Also, Ireland is separating from the Roman Catholic church because the sex scandals. “Roman Catholic church is corrupted,” exclaimed Otilia.
- Romo: Iphone4s is reinforcing stereotypes because the voice on the phone is a woman’s voice. Woman = assistant. Call the phone a bisnotch and she will reply with “Why do you hate me? I don’t even exist.”
- Jesus: Watson has two libraries full of information. Machines vs. humans. Machines won.
- Albert: Barack Obama can freely murder Americans?
- Khoa: John F. Kennedy’s former girlfriend made a memoir in which she recalled how her and JFK smoked weed together and got in a cat crash.
- Ashley: Euro zone catastrophe, Europe doesn’t want to pay for Greece’s debt.
We then received a new imagery packet and the virtue essay rubric. The rubric is to be stapled to the top of the final essay.
Tuesday Mr.Eldridge will be busy with his sophomores and the cahsee, so we will be sent some place else. We will be expected to work on our imagery packet and to take the practice EAP test.
We then went over the ethos/pathos review packet. READ DIRECTIONS.
Monday have number 3 done.
Tuesday have number 4 done.
Thursday have number 5 done.
- 1. good will
- 2. knowledgeable
- 3. high moral character
Number 1 on the ethos/pathos review packet.
- examples of ethos:
- knowledgeable- “eighth century prophets, gospel of Jesus Christ, and Apostle Paul”
- Good will- “we lived up to our promises”
- High moral character- “I too am compelled to carry the gospel of freedom”
- Martin Luther King Jr. uses anecdotes, parallelism, anaphora, nonviolence, and a safe tone.
Number 2 on the ethos/pathos review packet.
- Answer = pathos.
- examples of pathos: rhetorical questions brings audience’s attention to the British, the audience then responds emotionally with fear and distrust towards the British.